The cultural diversity within the municipality of Odemira reflects the past and present-day lifestyle of its inhabitants.
- Cabo Sardão Lighthouse (São Teotónio)
This lighthouse, which stands next to the village of Cavaleiro in the heart of the protected landscape, was designed in 1883 and was completed and began operating in April 1915. It is impossible not to feel emboldened by the sight of the impressive cliff tops cut into the coastline overlooking the imposing sea and, at the same time, serene in the contemplation of a landscape of endless plains stretching out to the horizon, covered with lush undergrowth.
- São Clemente Fort (Vila Nova de Milfontes)
The Vila Nova de Milfontes Fort was built at the end of the 16th century and it is possible to see almost the entire town from its rocky foundations. In 1638, the fort was destroyed by a group of Algerians who moored on the sandbar. It originally had a polygonal ground plan and was reinforced with parapets for cannons and two triangular bulwarks. The fort only saw better times during the reign of D. João IV, when the king ordered improvements to its military defences. An example of Mannerist military architecture, it was later converted into a residence, and acquired a Romantic appearance – a medieval tower was built with arrow slits and the facades became covered with ivy. Now, in the 21st century, its past history of decay has ended; the moat has been filled with flowers, ivy secures the walls and the interior is cared for as if it were a palace. (Classified as a Building of Public Interest).
- Fragments of the Walls of the Old Castle of Odemira
Captured from the Moors during the Reconquest, the castle was reconstructed in 1265 and rebuilt in 1319 with a new enclosure, on the orders of D. Dinis. The remains of the wall are incorporated into urban buildings and one section, in the highest part of the town (Peguinho mound), serves as the support for a park area and as the support structure for some urban buildings, such as the Council House bell tower. (Classified as a Building of Public Interest).
- Santa Maria Parish Church
When first built in the 16th century this was part of the former Franciscan convent. It became a Parish Church in 1835. It is an example of Mannerist architecture but, like many Franciscan churches, it has been looted.
- Church of S. Salvador (Mother Church)
The oldest church in Odemira, built in the Mannerist and Baroque styles of religious architecture and renovated by the parish in the 20th century. It can be visited on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 6.30 pm to 7 pm, on Tuesdays and Saturdays from 10 am to 10.30 am and on Sundays from 12 to 12:30 pm.
- D. Maria Bridge (Santa Clara-a-Velha)
Standing near the Pousada (Inn) and Santa Clara dam, this 18th-century bridge over the River Mira is in the process of being listed and, although ruined, still retains its architectural and constructional features.
- Pardieiro Necropolis
Located between Corte Malhão and São Martinho das Amoreiras, this is an Iron Age funerary site where two stone tablets inscribed with Southwest writings have been found.
- Santa Maria Windmill
Built in 1874, this windmill is situated on the Cerro dos Moinhos Juntos. Nowadays a miller still grinds the grain in the traditional way and the mill is open to the public on Mondays to Fridays from 9 am to 5 pm.
Find out more at www.cm-odemira.pt.